Seeking a talented ukulele instructor with experience in teaching intermediate and advanced skills to children in group classes of students in grades 3 thru 8. The instructor will lead classes during a weeklong full day ukulele camp July 8-12, 2019 at First Lutheran Church, Malden MA. The instructor will be available for three hours of instruction between the hours of 8:30 am – 5:00 pm, exact schedule to be negotiated. Lunch and snacks provided to students and staff. After camp, the instructor will continue weekly group lessons from September through June.
The weeklong Camp Uke supports low-income and working class families of all races, religions, and immigration status who otherwise cannot access enrichment programs for their children during the summer. We see our open and affirming space reaching more LGBTQ students in middle school as well as elementary school. We strive to connect children with and without Christian backgrounds to sources of meaning by making music together and talking about what these songs communicate here at First Lutheran Church.
Reports to: Pastor
- Experience in teaching children, in teaching groups, in playing ukulele
- Demonstrated professional performance and teaching skills in ukulele in multiple styles and techniques.
- Additional percussion and vocal skills a plus
Responsibilities during “Camp Uke”
- Intermediate and advanced group lessons for students with basic knowledge of techniques and chords, teaching campers advanced ukulele skills including strum patterns, chords, and finger picking
- Advise on music selection for all levels of the program.
- Teach campers of all skill levels
- to sing and play as an ensemble,
- to learn to listen to their instructors and one another,
- to help one another with musical skills, and
- to build confidence as performers.
- With the camp directors, prepare song sheets or music books and distribute to students
Responsibilities September 2019 – June 2020
- Group lessons at First Lutheran Church one day each week from 6:15 pm-7:00 pm except school vacation weeks (approximately 45 weeks; day of the week to be negotiated)
- Teach new songs and skills, such as fingerpicking, strum patterns, and new chords
- Build relationships with the wider community through
- a winter and a spring student concert with community partners like the Malden Senior Center, Forestdale Park Senior Living and
- promotional performances by program directors at local elementary and middle schools in selected Malden public schools
- Promote the program on social media and in local media using safe church guidelines
Summer camp: $1,080 for 15 hrs, 2 additional hours for final concert, plus ~10 hrs preparation and outreach
September-June: $1,800 for group instruction one day each week, and two one hour concerts, one in the winter and one in the spring. No class during school vacation weeks.
Interview and playing required. Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, March 22, 2019. Please provide two references, one of which should be the parent or guardian of a student. If available, please attach an audio or video file of your performance and/or instruction.